Friday, February 10, 2012

Nike & Apple

Look at this recent commercial from Nike:



Now, think about that. This ad is promoting a product called the Fuelband. It's basically a watch with a calorie counter and pedometer.

Does a product like this exist already? Yes. Does it look as cool or is it marketed as well? No.

And I can tell you, I'd rather have the Nike product over any other similar product. Why? Because it's cool.

And that's the lesson to take away. Nike makes the consumer want their products, which are essentially not any different than their competitors', over similar sports wear and shoes because Nike products carry an air of "look at me" with them.

They look good, are marketed great, and have a cool factor that you don't get from other sports companies.

They're the Apple of sports.

Ignoring that these are highly successful companies started by two west coast entrepreneurs who have had their share of major setbacks/doubt and are environmentally conscious, think about it — Apple and Nike make great products. They're marketed well. And some are innovative.

But above all else, they're cool. They're a status symbol.

People who swear by Microsoft have iPads and iPhones. You can get a Droid phone or tablet that is just as powerful, reliable, and fast as any Apple product. But it's missing that certain something.

These two different companies are lauded as the front runners in their fields because of their vision and ability to market their products.

The iPad is the worst name ever. It sounds like a technologically savvy feminine hygiene product. But did/do people, including yours truly, want one? You better believe it. Do I want a Fuelband? Yep. But I just admitted it's a watch. But it's a cool watch.

And why do I think it's cool? Because it's Nike? Not necessarily. I don't follow blindly and I'm not 100% brand loyal. I think it's cool because of its design and how its marketed [I'm smart enough to know that I'm foolish enough to be suckered in by a cool commercial (knowing it's a cool commercial and appreciating it for being well done makes me think they deserve my money more, I guess)].

At the bottom of these two companies are the essentials to success: vision and execution. They know they have a "wow" factor and don't settle for anything that doesn't excite. They expect to be the best. And people are drawn to that.

1 comment:

  1. Even as you say you are a alternative to dreary news, this stuff is just boring.

    ReplyDelete